At Tyson Foods, team members’ voices are meant to be heard. All team members are actively encouraged to speak with local management, human resources representatives, or to contact the ethics and compliance department or the human resources director regarding any ethics questions, complaints or concerns they may have.
We provide a toll-free number and web-based reporting mechanism (Ethics Help Line) for team members who are obligated to report suspected violations of our Code of Conduct or the law. The Ethics Help Line is operated by an independent third party and allows team members to raise issues anonymously and without fear of retaliation if they don’t feel comfortable reporting it to their local supervisor or human resources, or if they don’t feel that the issue is being properly addressed. The Ethics Help Line is managed by a team of corporate ethics and compliance professionals and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Services are available in multiple languages by phone or the Internet.
During FY2018, our Ethics Help Line received 5,379 contacts. Of the total calls, 76.8 percent were unsubstantiated following investigation. The remaining 23.2 percent of calls were investigated and resolved. While the option to report anonymously is always available, 61.0 percent of those making reports in FY2018 chose to provide contact information. In comparison, data provided by a reputable benchmarking report shows that, on average, only 58.4 percent of those who contact a company hotline provide contact information. This volume, combined with callers’ willingness to provide contact information, shows that our team members know how to use the process and are not hesitant to do so. This result is consistent with our dedication to maintaining a workplace where we can all ask questions and raise concerns without fear of retaliation.